By all accounts, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) seems to be a very bizarre group. It is supposed to be the organization that supports the essence of democracy in our country. It is composed of all the “important” Democrats .. Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and many more (see Our Leaders on the DNC website).
However, in the news, you ONLY hear about Debbie. And when you hear about Debbie, it’s always surrounding some type of controversy. Have you ever heard a mention of other DNC members? Sure, she’s the “committee chair,” but surely others are allowed to speak and have opinions? Based on what you read in the news, it doesn’t seem that way. Shouldn’t the organization that claims to define democracy, actually operate in a democratic fashion?
I’d hope that if others in this organization didn’t agree with what Debbie was saying, they’d speak up. Oh, right there was the time when Tulsi Gabbard, the past vice chair of the DNC, expressed a desire to see more debates (seems reasonable enough) .. and she was “disinvited” from the upcoming debate (Top Democratic official: I was disinvited from debate – cnn.com). And as you all know, she recently resigned from the DNC to support Bernie (yay, Tulsi!).
So, has this frightened other DNC members into keeping quiet about Debbie’s crazy antics? Unless we hear something from other members, we must assume that they are all just fine with Debbie and her actions. That doesn’t bode well for our democratic system.
Here’s a partial listing of articles on Debbie’s disastrous debacles:
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz Under Fire for Comments About Young Women – (ABC News)
- Everyone Hates Debbie – (Freebeacon)
- Wasserman Schultz caught up in Iran-deal controversy – (Politico Florida)
- Insurrection Erupts at the Democratic National Committee – (Bloomberg)
- Disgust for Debbie Wasserman Schultz Ignites Wave of Election Year Bipartisanship – (Observer News)
- What’s next, if anything, for Debbie Wasserman Schultz? – (Washington Post)
- Dems in Disarray: Why a DNC Official Called Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz a Liar – (Independent Journal)
UPDATE! The following information about Tim Canova has changed! The Florida DNC has decided to allow Tim access to the voter database!
The most recent issue to arise seems especially onerous. Tim Canova, a Democrat running for Congress in Florida’s 23rd District (Debbie’s seat in Congress), has been denied access to the “VAN” voter database. This is apparently a policy that has been in place since 2010 (long time ago?) ..
Florida Democratic Party does not offer data access “to candidates challenging incumbent members of Florida’s Democratic congressional delegation. This policy has been applied uniformly across the board since 2010.
REALLY? That’s absurd. Anyone with half a brain would see that this is the essence of a corrupt system. Blindly supporting the incumbent, regardless of qualifications, is just ridiculous. Is this the case for all states or just Florida?
A Democratic system should be set up to allow equal access to all candidates, and may the best person win. The DNC should not be set up to support any one candidate.
- Meet Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s First-Ever Primary Challenger: Tim Canova – (The Intercept)
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s Opponent, Tim Canova, Is Denied Access to Democrats’ Voter File – (Broward New Times)
What can you do? First off, we need to support Tim Canova and other Berniecrats. Bernie won’t be able to do what he’s proposing without the support of the Senate and House. Now that it looks like Tim won’t have access to the voter database, an already challenging task of taking on Debbie, has been made even harder. Be sure to chip in what you can to his campaign.
Secondly, there are numerous petitions asking to unseat Debbie. They may fall on deaf ears, but it can’t hurt to add your name to the list!
- Remove Debbie Wasserman Schultz as DNC Chair – (MoveOn)
- Demand Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s immediate resignation as DNC chair – (change.org)
- Remove Debbie Wasserman Schultz as DNC Chair – (RootsAction)
- Tell DNC Chair Wasserman Schultz: Resign immediately. – (Credo Action)
- Remove Debbie Wasserman Schultz as National Democratic Party Chair – (Care2 Petitions)
There are also a couple of petitions specific to the Tim Canova / Debbie situation:
- Let’s Help Tim Canova Unseat Debra Wasserman Shultz – (MoveOn)
- Wasserman Schultz: Debate Tim Canova on TPP – (MoveOn)
The bottom line is .. the DNC needs a good house cleaning. I’m not saying that all of the members are corrupt, but unless someone speaks up it’s hard to know what to think.